Free Benefits Advice

If you’re living with motor neuron disease (MND) or care for someone with MND, we can help you claim benefits you’re entitled to.

Our free and confidential Welfare and Benefits Advice Service can take the stress out of claiming benefits and help improve your financial situation.

How we can help you

“ MND Scotland’s welfare and benefits officer has been a lifesaver. She has been so supportive and helped us fill in complicated forms, which lifted a huge weight off our shoulders.”

Benefits if you haven’t reached pension age and are unable to work

If you work for an employer and take time off sick, you may receive Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). It’s a flat-rate state benefit payable by your employer from the fourth day of your sickness and can be paid for up to 28 weeks.

To qualify for SSP, you must:


Your employer may deduct SSP from your normal pay. Or they may pay you your normal wage. It all depends on what contract of employment you have.

New Style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is for people under the State Pension age who have an illness or disability that affects how much they can work.

To qualify for ESA, you’ll need to have been employed or self-employed and paid National Insurance contributions, usually in the past two to three years.

Because there are different types of ESA, we recommend you speak to an MND Scotland welfare and benefits officer to understand what you may be entitled to.

Adult Disability Payment (ADP) is a new benefit from the Scottish Government that will gradually replace the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) provided by the UK Government.

ADP is for working age adults with a disability or health condition who are not already receiving PIP or Disability Living Allowance.

The new benefit was launched in March 2022 and is initially available to people living in the local authority areas of Dundee City, Perth and Kinross and the Western Isles.

Further council areas will be introduced in phases until ADP rolls out nationwide from August 2022.

If you currently receive PIP or DLA, you do not need to apply for Adult Disability Payment. You will be transferred automatically to the new benefit from August 2022, with no break in your entitlement or payment.

For more information, please speak to an MND Scotland welfare and benefits officer.

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit for people under State Pension age who are on a low income.

Universal Credit is replacing the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support
  • Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit


If you currently receive any of these benefits, you may need to claim Universal Credit because of a change in your circumstances, e.g. you’ve become too ill to work. Please speak to an MND Scotland welfare and benefits officer to find out more.

Please note: In Scotland, you can choose to receive your Universal Credit payment once or twice a month.

Benefits if you have reached pension age

Help with transport and parking

Motability Scheme

Blue Badge scheme

Benefits at end of life

If you’re living with a terminal illness and not expected to live for longer than six months, your claim for benefits may be fast-tracked and paid at the highest rate. You will need to apply under special rules.

The main benefits covered by the special rules are:

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit (UC)


If you live longer than six months following your claim, your benefits will continue but your claim may be reviewed after three years.

Please note: the Scottish Government’s new Adult Disability Payment has a separate definition of special rules.

If you’re looking after someone with MND

Carer’s Allowance

You may be entitled to Carer’s Allowance if you look after someone with MND for at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits. Find out if you’re eligible. If you receive Universal Credit, you may be able to get the carer element, even if you do not qualify for Carer’s Allowance.

If you get Carer’s Allowance or the carer element of Universal Credit, you are not affected by the benefit cap.

Carer’s Credit

If you care for a person for at least 20 hours a week but are not eligible for Carer’s Allowance, you may be able to get Carer’s Credit.

This is a credit that fills gaps in your National Insurance record. This record decides whether you qualify for a State Pension, Employment and Support Allowance and Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Carer’s Allowance Supplement

Most people in Scotland who get Carer’s Allowance also automatically receive Carer’s Allowance Supplement every six months. This benefit comes from Social Security Scotland and is usually paid in June and December. 

Young Carer Grant

You may be able to claim a Young Carer Grant from the Scottish Government if you’re aged 16 to 18, live in Scotland, care for someone for an average of 16 hours a week, and have been a carer for at least the past three months. Currently, a Young Carer Grant is a yearly payment of £326.65.

After someone dies

Following the death of the person you cared for, there may be many practical issues to deal with, including claiming financial support you’re entitled to. Taking care of these issues while dealing with the emotional impact of your bereavement can be very difficult.

This is why we encourage you to contact an MND Scotland welfare and benefits officer after someone dies. We can help to make claiming benefits one less worry for you. 

Bereavement Support Payment

If your husband, wife or civil partner dies, you may be able to claim a benefit called Bereavement Support Payment

To get Bereavement Support Payment, you must have been under State Pension age when your partner died.

You must claim the benefit within three months of your partner’s death to get the full amount. You can claim up to 21 months after their death but you’ll get fewer monthly payments.

Funeral Support Payment

You may be able to claim a Funeral Support Payment if you live in Scotland and you or your partner are getting certain benefits or tax credits.

To get the Funeral Support Payment, the person who has died must have lived in the UK.

You must be responsible for the funeral and costs and claim within six months of the date of the funeral.

Find out what benefits you’re entitled to

Please fill in this form to let us know you would like to speak to our welfare and benefits advisor. We’ll then get in touch to arrange an appointment with you. 

Alternatively, you could ask your MND clinical nurse specialist to arrange an appointment for you.

Please note: All questions marked with an asterisk (*) must be answered before submitting your application.

Support Services Referral

Your precious gift can help find a cure for MND