Artists garden blossoms with generosity by supporting MND Scotland

A vibrant Scottish garden has become a beacon of hope and generosity for those affected by motor neuron disease (MND).

Approximately one mile south of Broughton, the private garden at Beechwood, Rachan is owned by Susheila and James Gordon, who officially opened it to the public two years ago with the support of Scotland’s Gardens Scheme.

Scotland’s Gardens Scheme was founded in 1931 and supports gardens and greenspaces across Scotland every year to raise money for hundreds of charities. In 2023 alone, volunteers and garden owners worked continuously to help raise valuable funds for over 240 charities and good causes.

Nestled directly outside their home, Susheila and James have transformed one acre of land into a beautiful open greenspace for visitors all over Scotland to reconnect with nature and contribute to worthwhile causes.

The garden hosts a range of stunning sculptures; a well-planted stream which runs through the garden; varied perennial wildflower areas to encourage wildlife and provide forage for the resident bees; and features many examples of the owners’ artworks inspired by the natural world.

What sets the Beechwood Garden apart is not just its beauty, but its cause, as 60% of all donations received from visitors to the garden are generously directed to MND Scotland.

The decision to select MND Scotland as one of the main beneficiaries was due to the family’s connection to MND, and their desire to make a meaningful contribution to vital research in finding a cure for the disease and supporting other families affected by the illness.

James’s mother, Brenda, was diagnosed with MND in her 40’s and lived with the illness for over thirty years. Brenda was a keen gardener and enjoyed being outdoors and connecting with nature, so it was important for James and Susheila to keep the memory of Brenda at the forefront of their work.

Speaking about his mother, James said:

“Brenda enjoyed gardening and being with gardens and art right up to the end. Two years ago, we decided that it would be good to share the special space that we have created.  People feel relaxed and linger here”.

Supported by Scotland’s Garden Scheme, the couple hopes to attract more visitors who are eager to explore this hidden treasure. With lighter nights and better weather on the way, what better way to enjoy everything the garden has to offer and help support MND Scotland.

Visitors can pop into the garden during their open day on Wednesday 3 July 2pm-5pm, or by arrangement up until 31 October. Admission costs £5.00 (children visit for free) and 60% of all donations go to MND Scotland, whilst the remaining 40% go towards three other charities (Qnis, Maggie’s, and Perennial) selected by Scotland’s Gardens Scheme.

Head of Fundraising for MND Scotland, Jonathan Mitchell, said:

“We would like to thank Susheila and James for bringing so much enjoyment to so many people by sharing their love of gardens and nature. Thanks also go to Scotland’s Garden Scheme and visitors of Beechwood Garden for their continued support.

“It’s great to see so many ways people get involved to support MND Scotland. Every penny raised will help make time count for those affected by MND today and enable vital MND research to bring us closer to a cure. If you would like to get involved, please contact our fundraising team for more information”.

With each bloom and each visitor, the garden at Beechwood continues to flourish and nurture hope and solidarity for those affected by MND. For more information, or if you would like to arrange a visit to Beechwood Garden, please visit the Scotland’s Gardens Scheme website:

To find out how you can support MND Scotland, please visit our Get Involved page.


Latest news

Sign up
for newsletter

Get the latest news and events straight to your inbox

Step 1 of 2


You can help create a world without MND